Reminder to be Gentle with Yourself This Halloween
Happy Halloween! I decided to start blogging on Halloweekend, because let’s be honest, mental illness is the most spooky thing there is.
Here are some reminders:
- It doesn’t matter how much food you eat today.
- Don’t restrict your food, before or after. Give your body the nutrients it needs.
- Remember that we’re in a pandemic and nothing is normal and however you cope is okay.
- Chocolate is delicious and you deserve to eat delicious things and celebrate holidays.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Exercise because you love your body, not because you hate it.
- Don’t punish yourself. That includes underrating, overexercising, or doing things that make you feel bad like weighing yourself. These are all forms of self-harm.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. Stay off of social media if you have to. Unfollow people who make you feel bad about yourself.
Here are some wise words:
"To my fellow eating disorder survivors, and those currently struggling with their relationships with food. I know now might be in an unsettling moment as you may be eating different foods, maybe more food, and moving around less, and generally just feeling out of control in life. Know that it's all going to be ok and that by doing what you are doing you are potentially SAVING lives. Try if you can to look at food as a miracle and a friend, and thank your body for keeping you safe and well in this testing moment. And also thank you for staying in and doing what is best for the world around you. Nothing matters right now more than ending this pandemic. I see you. I'm with you. I love you. Unfollow anyone who is making you feel bad about the way you look and focus on the things and people you love in this moment." -Jameela Jamil
"The way you look is the least interesting thing about you. *And that's saying something considering how interesting and naturally wonderful you already are to look at." -hooeydooey
"I was not born to lose weight. I was born to do good. I was born to make joy. I was born to change the world." -Kate Speer, our very own :)
"You deserve the empathy you give to others." -werenotreallystrangers
"Treat yo' self." -Donna Meagle and Tom Haverford, Parks & Rec
What is your favorite Halloween treat? Comment below, and have a wonderful Halloween!